Bebop Spoken There
John Tynan: "Go ahead, call me reactionary. I happen to object to the musical nonsense being peddled in the name of jazz by John Coltrane and his acolyte Eric Dolphy." - (Downbeat November 22, 1961).
McCoy Tyner: "If anyone want to know how the three of us - Elvin, Jimmy and me - felt about John [Coltrane], listen to the music and you can hear the love and respect we had for each other. The music can really speak more than any of us." - (Melody Maker, August 19, 1967).
Today Monday April 24
Saturday, October 31, 2015
The last surviving member of Miller's AEF band, Nat Peck died on October 24.
May he rest in peace.
(Review by Lance).
Friday, October 30, 2015
Thursday, October 29, 2015
(Review by Lance).
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Tuesday, October 27, 2015
This is a startling album from the outstanding Composer/Arranger Ayn Inserto and the Colours Jazz Orchestra. Since 1999 Ayn has been steadily making a name for herself in the U.S. receiving countless awards but is, currently, perhaps less well-known in the U.K.
A musician writing avant-garde charts in sound, taking risks and creating some of the most complex, sophisticated, and clever music I’ve ever heard.
Smooth-jazz this is not!
Our reviewer, Hugh, said, of Tetra's new CD, "Tetra is a burst of golden sunshine and will warm the listener during the shortening autumn days".
Monday, October 26, 2015
Double Bill @ Ushaw – Paul Edis & Vasilis Xenopoulos/The Gala Big Band Ushaw College, Durham - October 24
Sunday, October 25, 2015
Saturday, October 24, 2015
Friday, October 23, 2015
Thursday, October 22, 2015
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Tuesday, October 20, 2015
It's simply the business!
Monday, October 19, 2015
He's back! The wonderful tenor sax player - warm toned, lyrical and exhilarating. Vas is supported by three of the region's finest - Paul piano, Andy Champion bass and Russ Morgan drums.
The National Jazz Archive, based in Loughton, Essex, has been awarded £83,300 by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for the Intergenerational Jazz Reminiscence Project, which will begin in January 2016.
Sunday, October 18, 2015
(Review by Lance).
Saturday, October 17, 2015
(Review/bw photo by Lance/colour photo courtesy of Mike Tilley).
This probably won't be my "Gig of the Year" but I'm sure it will be a contender! What is for sure is that it will be the most unique. Five American musicians playing a fusion of jazz and West African music and featuring the kora - a lute shaped, 20 plus stringed harp-sounding instrument originally indigenous to West Africa but now more widely used. Mathis' instrument was made by, quote: "a hippy guy out in the Oregon mountains".
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- MIKE DURHAM’S WHITLEY BAY CLASSIC JAZZ PARTY – NOV...
- James Birkett & Bradley Johnston @ The Jazz Café –...
- Buck Clayton Legacy Band @ Sage Gateshead – Octobe...
- RIP Nat Peck
- Dom and the Ikos @ Hoochie Coochie - Oct. 30
- Pannonica @ The Lit & Phil - Oct. 30.
- Glaswegian Hoochie Coochie Men
- RIP Herbie Goins
- CD Review: Matthew Stevens – Woodwork
- CD Review: Ella Fitzgerald - Live at Chautauqua Vo...
- GIJF 2016
- CD Review: Mike Holober - Balancing Act.
- SINATRALAND – EXPLORING THE MUSICAL WORLD OF FRANK...
- Let Spin @ Jazz Café - Oct. 27
- Song Lyrics - Why do we like them?
- Band Library Seeks Good Home
- R.I.P. Lee Shaw
- CD Review: Hot Jazz Jumpers - The Very Next Thing
- CD Review: Home Away From Home – The Colours Jazz ...
- Tetra @ Sage Gateshead - Oct. 26
- Vasi X plays Ornette!
- Double Bill @ Ushaw – Paul Edis & Vasilis Xenopoul...
- Vasilis Xenopoulos Quartet @ the Black Bull - Blay...
- Monday Oct 26 @ Sage Gateshead - Tonight!
- Liam, Leroy & Humph
- Charles Gordon & Kenny Hewitt @ The Jazz Café – Oc...
- Alter Ego @ The Globe Jazz Bar - Oct. 24
- The Last of the Legacy…going, going, almost gone!
- Swinging into Blaydon this Sunday
- Taylor made for the Vermont - Oct. 23
- Gerry Richardson Quartet @ the Jazz Café - Oct. 23...
- Andy Hudson Remembers Don Rendell
- Dominic Lodge @ Culture Lab, Newcastle University ...
- Tutors Live! @ Sage Gateshead – October 21
- Friday Night?
- RIP Mark Murphy
- RIP Don Rendell
- Work Song performed by Alex & Dylan Thompson & Nat...
- Sax in the Lab – October 22
- Jazz Café Jam Session - Oct. 19
- Erroll Garner - Concert by the Sea
- EFG London Jazz Festival
- CD Review: Nicholas Bridgeman - Wheel of Life
- Sage Gateshead this Wednesday
- Blaydon this coming Sunday...
- National Jazz Archive wins Heritage Lottery Fund s...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Gabriele Mit Drei - Octobe...
- CD Review: Kristine Mills - BOSSAtoo
- CD Review: Baden Powell - Live In Berlin.
- Jambone Make Capital
- Kora Band @ the Jazz Café, Newcastle - Oct. 16
- Bix and the Jazz Ambassadors
- CD Review: Herb Silverstein - Younger Next Year
- CD Review: Nancy Lane - Let Me Love You
- Alice Grace Quartet @ the Cherry Tree Restaurant -...
- Robert Cray Band @ Sage Gateshead. October 13
- CD Review: Racha Fora - Racha S'miles
- Tonight @ The Cherry Tree - not to be missed!
- CD Review: Let Spin – Let Go
- Lindsay Hannon Plus on tour
- CD review: The Jelly Roll Jazz Band - Whose Solo i...
- Jazz Record Requests requests...
- The Greek God of Vasilis
- CD Review: Colin Towns’ Mask Orchestra – Drama
- Jazz entrepreneur dies age 75
- Glasshopper/Triptych @ the Bridge Hotel, Newcastle...
- A Radio Riddle
- Noel Dennis & Dean Stockdale @ The Jazz Café. Oct ...
- Taupe + Dead Hedge Trio @ The Head of Steam. Octob...
- The Early Bird Band @ The Jazz Café. October 9
- '100% Proof: The Complete Tubby Hayes Discography'...
- PG3 @ The Globe Jazz Bar - Oct. 10
- Sad News From Hong Kong
- CD Review: Lisa Bassenge - Canyon Songs
- Pilgrim Street Set @ Hoochie Coochie - Oct. 8
- Tonight @ Hoochie (Oct.8)
- Jazz at the Pizza Express (Newcastle)
- The Big Score - Jazz on the screen
- Henry’s Swing Club @ The Branding Villa, South Gos...
- RIP Dave Pike
- RIP Coleridge Goode
- CD Review: Josh Shpak Band - Astatic
- Strictly Come Dancing Choreographer in World Recor...
- Customs House Big Band News
- Preview: Indigo Voices @ The Globe, This Coming Th...
- CD Review: Candice Hoyes - On a Turquoise Cloud
- Toby Delius Trio @ the Bridge – Oct. 4
- Smoove & Turrell @ North East Calling Fanzone. Oct...
- Interview with Julian Argüelles
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Jazz Latin Groove: October...
- CD Review: Frank Kohl Quartet - Invisible Man
- CD Review: Kansas Smitty's House Band - Kansas Smi...
- Sage Gateshead Music Students 10 England Rugby Boy...
- Swing Manouche @ The Jazz Café. October 2
- Anna Reay & Deon Krishnan @ The Vermont Hotel. Oct...
- Folk Meets Jazz @ The Globe: October 1
- Today! Scrum Down with Dr Edis and Dexter’s Gay Go...
- Who shall I book to play at my wedding ?(Hypotheti...
- Happy Birthday to George Wein
- Why I'll miss these weekend gigs in 'The Toon' - H...
- ▼ October ( 110 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)