Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Béla Fleck: “ And that's the great thing about live performances, you take people on a journey. It doesn't have to be like something else they've heard. It's not supposed to be". DownBeat, April, 2024.

The Things They Say!

Hudson Music: Lance's "Bebop Spoken Here" is one of the heaviest and most influential jazz blogs in the UK.

Rupert Burley (Dynamic Agency): "BSH just goes from strength to strength".

'606' Club: "A toast to Lance Liddle of the terrific jazz blog 'Bebop Spoken Here'"

The Strictly Smokin' Big Band included Be Bop Spoken Here (sic) in their 5 Favourite Jazz Blogs.

Ann Braithwaite (Braithwaite & Katz Communications) You’re the BEST!

Holly Cooper, Mouthpiece Music: "Lance writes pull quotes like no one else!"

Simon Spillett: A lovely review from the dean of jazz bloggers, Lance Liddle...

Josh Weir: I love the writing on bebop spoken here... I think the work you are doing is amazing.

Postage

16287 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 16 years ago. 169 of them this year alone and, so far, 41 this month (Mar 18).

From This Moment On ...

March

Thu 28: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Holystone, Whitley Road, North Tyneside. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 28: Gateshead Jazz Appreciation Society @ Gateshead Central Library, Gateshead. 2:30pm.
Thu 28: Richard Herdman Quartet @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.
Thu 28: Tees Hot Club @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Guests: Josh Bentham (alto sax); Alan Marshall (tenor sax); Neil Brodie (trumpet); Adrian Beadnell (bass); Graham Thompson (keys); Steve Hunter (drums).

Fri 29: FILM: Soul @ The Forum Cinema, Hexham. 12:30pm. Jazz-themed film animation.
Fri 29: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 29: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 29: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 29: Abbie Finn Trio @ The Vault, Darlington. 6:00pm. Free. POSTPONED!
Fri 29: Thundercat @ Newcastle City Hall.
Fri 29: John Logan @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.

Sat 30: Papa G’s Troves @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.
Sat 30: Pete Tanton’s Cuba Libre @ Whitley Bay Library, York Road, Whitley Bay. 8:00pm.

Sun 31: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay Metro Station. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 31: Ruth Lambert Trio @ Juke Shed, Union Quay, North Shields NE30 1HJ. 3:00pm. Free. Lambert, Alan Law & Paul Grainger.
Sun 31: Sid Jacobs & Tom Remon @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 7:00pm. Free. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig. USA/London jazz guitar duo.
Sun 31: Bellavana @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm.

April
Mon 01: Harmony Brass @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 01: Ray Stubbs R&B All Stars @ Billy Bootlegger’s, Ouseburn, Newcastle. 3:00pm. Free.

Tue 02: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Dean Stockdale, Paul Grainger, Abbie Finn.

Wed 03: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 03: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 03: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

R.I.P. Paul Gamblin

The north-east jazz world was stunned to learn that top guitarist Paul Gamblin had collapsed and died at the weekend - reportedly whilst playing rugby.
A brilliant guitarist and son of another brilliant guitarist, the late Eric Gamblin, Paul was a frequent attraction on the local scene often playing at Blaydon with various musicians and singers including Ruth Lambert and Bob Caswell.
Funeral details will be announced as soon as they are known.
Sadly missed.
Lance.
(Above photo by Eddie Carson)

10 comments :

Russell said...

Hi Lance

Whenever I heard Paul play he seemed to be an unassuming sort of bloke. He was a top class player and heard all too rarely in the north east.

Russell

Roly said...

Yes Paul was an absolutely lovely person of great integrity and always that quick witted humour.
And a great player with an advanced sense of harmony, a subtle approach to accompaniment and great soloing. A master of the bebop language in fact.
Its an utter shock this has happened.
Roly

Ruth said...

I am struggling to get my head around the fact that Paul has gone. We've lost a truly great guitarist and I have lost a good friend who will be sorely missed. My thoughts are with his family. What a wonderful man.
Ruth.

Django Bates said...

I was lucky to work with Paul Gamblin a lot in the eighties in Dudu Pukwana's band. With really long drives across Europe in a small van full of very fiery musicians, Paul was a huge boon to the band. He was equally focused on the gig, his beloved guitar, and on the band members' well-being. He was also uniquely able to soothe troubled waters when people got tired and stressed. I remember him driving at 90 mph straight through a huge and very solid bale of hay which had fallen into the fast lane of a German motorway, then quietly explaining, 'I wasn't sure it would work but bearing in mind the speed of surrounding traffic it was the safest option'. Paul was always friendly, dependable, and a gentleman.

Django Bates

Mal Maddock said...

I knew Paul (& his dad) from when I was a young teenager coming into the business...in Whitley Bay....He was so dedicated....We played many times together both in the North East , in London and abroad......When he moved to London it was a big decision .... & when I moved down we hooked up straight away.... I have many fond & funny memories.... he was a vegetarian & I always admired him for that ... Me not having the willpower ... But one night we went for a few pints..... & afterwards went for a takeaway curry, he ordered chicken curry.. & I said hold on I thought you were veggie ...."not when I am P****d I'm not" was his reply.......A great guy that will be missed........ My love to his familly Mal Maddock

Rod Sinclair said...

I worked with Paul in the 70s before he headed off to London and didn't meet up with him again till he turned up, 30+ yrs later, at the Maggie Bank .
He was still as fired up by music, full of enthusiasm and a zest for life. The news of his death is greeted with great sadness at the loss of a great player and inspirational human being. Rod

Eric Richards said...

I met Paul at college in Newcastle, shared a flat with him and Steve Creese in Maida Vale, toured Europe with him in Dudu Pukwana's band and did a UK tour with Gloria Gaynor with him and countless other gigs I guess. Last time I saw him was in Gelsenkirchen many, many years ago. I will always remember him for his ever-present enthusiasm,which just kept on bubbling over, be it for music or just life in general. Tragic that he had to go so soon. Shame we lost touch. He will be missed by his family and friends. My thoughts are with them at this sad time. Eric Richards

Eric Richards said...

I met Paul at college in Newcastle, shared a flat with him and Steve Creese in Maida Vale, toured Europe with him in Dudu Pukwana's band and did a UK tour with Gloria Gaynor with him and countless other gigs I guess. Last time I saw him was in Gelsenkirchen many, many years ago. I will always remember him for his ever present enthusiasm,which just kept on bubbling over, be it for music or just life in general. Tragic that he had to go so soon. Shame we lost touch. He will be missed by his family and friends. My thoughts are with them at this sad time. Eric Richards

Anonymous said...

Hi Lance,
I find this hard to take in, I did know Paul quite well and our paths did cross, I always used to ask his father Eric how he was doing, and I uesd to get the odd message from dad at windows, saying Paul had been in and was asking how I was doing, what a shame we lost touch, with us both working away. during our earlier years...
What very sad sad news, he must have only been around my age, maybe a bit younger, great musician, like his dad.

Colin Aitchison
Hong Kong

Anonymous said...

Paul was a great friend of mine during the years I lived in London. As a fellow Geordie, he helped me loads when I first moved there. I have just found out about this and am in a state of shock. God bless you Paul.

Blog Archive